Sunday, November 11, 2007

New Day

So we've arrived at Sunday once again.

Work went well yesterday. There were a few moments of calm.....not like last week when I couldn't get out the door. Acutally stayed an hour later than I was supposed to yesterday. There is this really interesting thing that happens in this work, and all the sales guys seem to fall into it. It's about the scheduling: you may be scheduled to work a certain on a certain day, but nobody cares if you come in and start early or stay later. As long as you are fading your pay that is. So people come in and just hang out ...well, not exactly hang out, but hang around trying to 'get' the next customer. The reason why this is important is because of the intense competition among people in the department, and in between all the departments. Everyone is striving to be top dawg in sales for the day, trying to trump the top of the deck. And you always know exactly where you are at any givin point in the day.

So of course, I am feeling a bit diminished in the shadows of some these giants who have been doing this kind of work for years. Don't get me wrong, it is noble work, and consumers are truly being served a product that is good and necessary for the fulfillment of their personal dreams. But the competition among associates is tremendous. So very different from my former vocation where I was the central hub of activity. Now I just another molecule in the swirl of electrons and protons frenetically orbiting around some nucleus.

SInce it's Sunday I have to leave so I can play for the service at the church in south hills, and immediately after that I will go to GC for the mandatory Sunday morning training session. Even though I am off, I will stay and 'hang out' a bit today, because I had talked with so many customers over the last couple of days who called to inquire about products, and said they would be in on Sunday to buy them. That sux, but that's sales.

Many of the people who came in yesterday were merely in the store at all because they were begining to check out their options for xmas gifts, browsing, getting ideas. After all it is only 6 weeks away. So, with all the other sales guys, I will spend a lot of time at the job, waiting for the next opportunity to sell sell sell.

There's something incredibly enthralling about this whole thing. It certainly ain't the money....prostitutes get paid a helluva lot more. Just goes to show that sex is so overrated.

....

No comments: