Thursday, November 8, 2007

Walking my talk

Ok, I am always preaching to everyone else about the responsibility they have to keep all of us who care abreast of the current drama in their lives; however over the past week I find that
I myself have sorely lacked in taking my own advice, and that is due to a myriad of factors mainly those beyond my control. Since having become employed, I have no time for anything like blogging, it seems!

Just a quick run down on where I have been over the past week:

for the last two Sundays I have playing two Sunday services at Resurrection in Brookline, one early morning and one later inthe evening. It works out so when I have to go to work, I am able to squeeze it all in. Also, last week was a holy day, and so I had two to play on Thursday. My free time is becoming more and more costly, more a premium, it seems.


Now I am officially off 'training' status, and a regular employee. I am not quite sure what that means for now, but I have been having Wednesday off and Sunday off and it's kinda cool to just have to go when I am scheduled.

When I think of the mid-Novembers of the last 30 years and how I would have been compulsively preoccupied with getting ready for Advent and Xmas, I breathe such a sigh of relief to wake up in the morning and just have to deal with the tasks of the day. No long range crap, just here and now. Sweeeeeet.

Other than that, I had a very successful day on Saturday when I was top salesperson for about an hour, then closed at #3. Haha! That was Saturday after all, but I am coming to understand that sales is both technique and providence. Especially in the keyboard department.

Take for example the guys who are in the guitar department. I mean the name of the business IS 'Guitar Center" after all, not "Keyboard Center'. If someone comes to buy a guitar, they are coming in to invest in a status symbol. You spend 300 clams for an electric guitar, now you have just increased your coolness factor exponentially. On the other hand, come in and pluck down the same amount of change for a keyboard, well, you have not necessarily increased your date-ability factor, nor widened your circle of cool dudes and dudettes (re" groupies). I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that a man in a seated position gets less respect than one in a power stance with a mighty electric guitar strapped to their person, jutting out like a huge phallus.

Anyway, so people are not necessarily coming to the store to buy a keyboard/synth as much as they are a guitar or drums, so that makes this job more challenging.

Still all in all, I am learning a whole lot about it, and love interacting with people, especially love putting into their hands the things that, until they walked in the door only existed in their imaginations. A noble thing.

Well, I had better go and pay attention to my other responsibility, such as, 'what time do I need to be at the bus stop', so I am not late for work.

Ciao for now all you lovelies.........

No comments: