Sunday, September 23, 2007

I love alternative clothes


....and so I have decided to live extremely in a way that I am meant to live.

Truth is, I have always always always marched to the beat of a different drum---at least in my own head. However, I did make many choices throughout life out of fear of being rejected in my unique point of view.

One of the major ways that I have decided to honor my own 'beat' is in the area of clothing.

Here you can see I am wearing a tunic that I purchased from Syria. I started wearing these when I lived in Minneapolis, and nobody seemed to care. It's all about comfort for me, and stretching gender boundaries and not wearing binding clothes. I have another in this style that is blue in color, and I have one with a hood that is brown. Last year at the Pride Festival in Minneapolis Loring Park I wore a white one with a rainbow sarong as a sash belted around my waist.

I know what you are thinking: that it is not very manly; that I don't look very 'fetching'. In my own defense, I must say, that I certainly don't feel feminine in a tunic, but really, more masculine than ever, precisely because the two powerful contrasting energies which are inherent in the approximation of two dynamic polarities, in this case gender roles, appearing in a singular manner of expression. Pluralities dwelling in unity. The lion lying down with the lamb.

I truly feel a 'call' within to dare to be myself; to debunk the media and cultural myths that shape our ideas about power: power in clothing, money, physical prowess, possessions, etc.

Consumerism. It's all about the benjamins, and the lincolns and the hamiltons and the washingtons.

Living in the monastery, however, has opened my eyes to the fact that I can live without contributing one red cent to the national debt....well to a point. Anyway, one way or the other, it gives you something to think about....then again, maybe not.

No comments: