Saturday, December 29, 2007

New wine in new wineskins

Well why should it be any different? Lotza new directions coming my way, and lotza new issues events and experiences to talk about, too.

Thing #1:
The other day, after 23 years of not using alcohol, following a 15 year period of it dominating my life [age 15 to 30], I reintroduced it into my life. My first experience was a rum and pepsi, which tasted really nasty to me. But it seems like wine is going to be my favorite. I am glad that alcohol is not a foe any longer, something that I must avoid at all costs, for fear that it may rape my life, as it had in the past, prior to my resolving major issues which led to its overuse, and subsequent habit forming usage. Yea, 24 years ago, I was in a cycle of self-medication that included anything that would alter my blood chemistry to the point of me passing out, so as not to deal with life's painful feelings. That was a stressful time of life. I was dealing with the ramifications of roman catholic upbringing -- all that guilt coupled to sexual, emotional, psychic supression. Anyway, I will continue to monitor the situation and let you know how things go. Just wanted to mention that my overarching goal to travel thru life unattached to anything is no longer necessary baggage for me, especially since I have realized that I used that position merely to gain a sense of moral superiority, and set me apart from the rest of my human fellows, which is pretty pathetic, to say the least.

Thing #2:
Sheetz called and all I have to do now is go over and finish the paperwork and work out a schedule, so today I must seize my opportunity to give my notice at my current job. The discussion for my fulltime employment at the church should soon ensue, after the new year begins. I have already been thinking about how to approach building the program.

===================

On other fronts, Wendy, ask Kevin if he remembers the Hertrich's from Fairywood St. I sold a piano yesterday to George and his family. I didn't realize it was him until we were checking out, and he gave me his info. Wow! That's a blast from the past. Although I have to mention, that my friend Diane who visited at Thanksgiving time, and who was my next door neighbor growing up in Broadhead---she and I have remained in touch all of these years, and I consider her to be my oldest friend. We've known each other for at least 45 years.

It sure was great seeing the kids over the holiday, and it is awesome how I am being re-purposed in their lives. It is deeply gratifying and I look forward to our continued and increasing involvment.

Well, I guess I should share some fotos from the holiday so you can check out my family a bit more. This was, incredibly, the first time in I don't know how many years that I got to be with my families when they opened their presents on xmas day. All the other years I was at church preoccupied with worship services.













2 comments:

wickedqueenwendy said...

hmmmm. drinking again? i'm pondering that. not judgementally, just in a concerned way.
what comes to mind is that my dad had an alergic reaction to penicillin in 1955 and for the next 50 years did not have any. then around 2005 he had a serious infection (can't remember exactly what) and the Dr. felt that pcn was the best drug and despite the allergy decided it was worth the risk and perscribed it. he was fine, no reaction to it at all. perhaps alcohol addiction is like an allergy and a long enough period can overcome it? i dunno. i wish you the best with that.

wickedqueenwendy said...

oh, and kevin says "man, does that name sound familiar... but that was a lifetime ago."