Monday, December 31, 2007

Old song, new style

Here is a song from long ago that I recently re-fashioned. I wrote it for my mother when I was about 20 years old, as I saw her coming to terms with her own mythology around being WMD (Wife Mother Daughter or potential Weapon of Mass Destruction ....... thanx Wendy for that perspective). I really think the song is universal in that it speaks to all of us who recognize our own daze of reckoning. BTW, the title is the combination of the first syllable of each of her names.

So mom's b-day is coming up on February 9th (or is it the 7th???) and I promised her I'd have a CD ready for her. I just realized that 3 of the early songs contained her as a subject:

1. Loireschu
2. On This Ship
3. Seasons of your Soul

Loireschu

Loireschu I can't believe what I am seeing, in silence you dance through your sorrow. Living these years in a love so unfulfilling, and dreams for a brighter tomorrow. In your voice I hear the song of my Lord, a voice I can't afford to ignore.

Loireschu, I can't believe what I am hearing, they've plundered your fountain of youth. They have challenged your wisdom and scrutinized your glory, the bindings, once joined, now, are loose. Eight eyewitnesses that don't give a damn, and I've watched your dreams turn to sand.

Loireschu I can recall when life was younger, when life was a mere feather bed. Then my rose colored glasses got trampled in the scuffle, dark changes that passed through my head. Still your hope remains a beacon in the night: a promise of the days dawning light.

In your voice I hear the song of my Lord, a voice I can't afford to ignore any more.

No comments: