Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Day once of the new job...oopps!.....I mean, career

For those of you who are waiting to read about how my first day at the new job/career fared I happily post a positive report.

Started out with a 10 minute hike over to the bus stop up at Obey and Steuben. The bus was about 10 minutes later than the schedule indicated, which put me a bit on edge, because, well, I am obsessive/compulsive about things happening when they are "supposed to". Good, lesson learned.

Next I arrived at work precisely by 9:30am, a half hour prior to my start time, and the bus took me right to the door. Pulling into the parking lot at the same time I arrived was Dave, my buddy from Duquesne days, who also happens to be associate manager and who was involved in my lengthy hiring process.

After a few moments of hello's and introductions with the other sales guys, I right away got to spend time with the regional manager who happened to be at the store this day. He gave me a lot of info about two classifications of microphones that the store has in its catalogue. I am really glad I studied about them when working on my technology/composition course of study at Duquesne. Condensor, dynamic, tube, phantom power, cardiod, hypercardiod, FET.... etc, I won't bore you with this terminology which mean zilch to you, but I had my notebook and pen in hand! And yes, he took them away and quizzed me! No pressure. It was all in good fun.

So now it's 10:30am, the time for the daily 'pep talk' in everyone is expected to participate in role plays that help to get the staff focused and ready to greet the public.

After that, Matt and I spent more time together in the Keyboard section [which, BTW, is the area where I will be assigned once I get out of training]. We discussed the tree main lines of workstation sold by the company: Yamaha, Korg and Roland, and each of the 3 levels in each series. Then we spent time with the high end Roland creating a sequence with drums bass and piano. Working with synthesizers is not a problem for me, because that is in fact what I used to create all my song files. I think I will do well in Keyboards.

After that, Dave gave me about 2 hours worth of training DVD's to watch; they were very much Guitar Center specific, but general info about how to sell, and the sales philosophy of this company. I won't goi into detail about that here, for obvious reasons, but suffice it to say I learned a lot, but none of it confused me, and made total sense. I anticipate the time I will be able to begin practicing my 'technique'. Heheehee!

In all of this there was a lunch break, and before you knew it, it was time to meet Suze, who drove back over to pick me up. That was nice. I like being part of community, especially one that is my blood family, because I missed out on that all these years living away from home.

I couldn't wait to get home and devour that home made chili that my brother in law Tom had cooking on the stove. I added some of my 'monks' habenera pepper sauce and thought I died and went to heaven. Yum.

After that, threw in some laundry, cleaned my head and beard up a bit the took a shower, and it is now 8pm, and here I am. Tada!

So now the issue becomes how I fit in my plasma donation twice a week. So me n' Sue decided that I would take her car and go at 7am when it opened, then go right to work after that, and she would have someone drive her over to her car after work; Tom would drive her in to work in the morning. That will help out; I want to keep up my schedule of 2 times per week donations, in order to maximize my 'reward'. If you donate regularly, the stipend paid increases. Besides, it will bring me closer to my goal of completing phase 3 of my dental surgery by next year.

I have a good feeling about the way my life is going now and I look forward to what tomorrow brings.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments: