Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Things will be different

After today.... my month long vacation from care will be going away.

For today I go to talk with the HR person about beginning my new j-o-b at Guitar Center. Yeah!!!! No really! I am definitely looking forward to doing something different with my musical talent; and who knows, I have had to be a salesman for 30 years in a career in music ministry, so why should I not succeed.

After dropping Sue off at work, I went over and got my PA license reinstated. It was very odd, because I walked into the building and got served right away, without the slightest wait. I think the whole thing took me about 19 minutes from in to out. I now have a PA license. Do you think I could ever be wanted in both states? ....the state of dress and undress....... i mean, the state of MN and PA?.... I'm not sure where I was going with that....but....where was I......

Then I stopped an looked for a few clothes bargains, in case I have to beef up my wardrobe for the new job. Something tells me tho, that I will not be expected to be dressed to the 9's in this environment; maybe casual, maybe less.....we'll see after the paperwork is filled out today. I promise a full report.

Can I share a secret with you all? I am going to miss this carefree tumbleweeds existence. Having no responsibility has been wonderful....so has having no bills, either. Just getting up and c all day, going to help Mary Alice on Monday mornings, and giving plasma 2X a week has felt like a full plate!? How will I ever fill a 40 hour work week into that? Before you know it, I will find myself on the treadmill again with everyone else. But at least this time, I will be engaging in something without preconceived ideas about how it 'should' be.

Actually, I have been rehearsing saying: "good morning, how may I help you" .... it feels really odd to me to be practicing this in front of a mirror, without feeling inauthentic. Oh well, I guess there's gonna be a learning curve involved. Imagine that: me, a salesman.

We'll have to see what happens.

...

2 comments:

wickedqueenwendy said...

oh, i have to comment with sales coaching. don't approach people with "how may i help you?" Ew, no! although that is better than, "may i help you?". people are conditioned to say no or "just looking". it's better to find a topic to engage in conversation. if they are looking at something start a conversation about that item. if they engage, then start open ended questions.
if you're really stumped, try a choice question like, "do you prefer XXX over YYY?" (staying within the realm of guitar world of course.)

Good luck and keep us posted!

oh, btw, stopped by st johns office yesterday to pay tuition and they gave me some craft items and a family photo you left behind. whenever kevin brings home the darn boxes i'll pack and ship...

bmyers2 said...

Congrats on the job!! As WQW says, stick with the open ended questions.

I'll be interested to read how it goes. :)